AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program in Middletown, PA
Set your new family member up for a life of success by giving them tools from standardized puppy training. The experienced team at Greenlin know how to socialize a puppy and can help yours walk away with the skills they need to excel in adult dog training.
Puppy Training With Greenlin Pet Resorts
When you have a new puppy in the house, it can be difficult to help them understand your lifestyle and, of course, the house rules. This isn’t an uncommon struggle for new puppy parents, and a bit of help from experienced animal training professionals is just what these excited tikes need to develop good mannerisms at an early age. It is important to remember that these young dogs are experiencing new sights, sounds, and smells at every turn, and that can be overwhelming for them. If you have noticed hyperactivity, destructive behavior, or the formation of undesirable habits, it could be because they feel overwhelmed with all the brand new stimuli that they’ve been exploring.
Your new puppy is in great hands with the certified trainers at Greenlin Pet Resorts. Each member of our staff may have different backgrounds in pet care, but we all share one thing in common; a love for dogs like yours. All staff members are required to complete extensive in-house training and obtain certifications in canine First-Aid and CPR before they meet special pups like yours.
Do you have a new four-legged member of the family? Help them develop a confident personality with good behaviors when you sign them up for puppy socialization class. We’ll utilize this meeting to understand their personality type, assess their current skill level, and review your overall goals for training. Ready to kick-start your beloved puppy’s training journey? Contact us online or call one of our six central Pennsylvania locations to learn more about puppy training.
Ready to Start a Reservation?
What is the S.T.A.R Program?
The American Kennel Club (AKC) was founded over 100 years ago in the 19th century, and they created the S.T.A.R Puppy Program to standardize good behaviors in young puppies. The main goal of this program is to enrich the lives of young dogs by giving them the skills for a life of success. Your puppy will master basic commands , interact with other dogs in their situation, and can lodge with us for rapid results and consistent engagement.
The S.T.A.R Puppy Program promotes wellness in pups by ensuring all certified S.T.A.R certified puppies have:
- (S) Socialization skills
- (T) Training
- (A) Activity
- (R) Responsible owners
Get Them Ready for the Canine Good Citizens Test
Our trainers are certified Canine Good Citizens (CGC) Test evaluators. The S.T.A.R Puppy Program is a natural step into this class, as most of the skills they learn in puppy training are prerequisites to abilities that they will master in CGC classes. This test measures a dog’s ability to compose themselves with calmness and considerate behaviors. While it is a test of the dog, you as their parent also bear some responsibility.
This test can offer more than just skills for your dog, too. In some instances, a landlord may offer reduced pet fees, discounts, or make breed exceptions if you can prove that they are well-behaved.
Below you will see the 10 CGC tests that your dog must pass in order to become a certified Canine Good Citizen.
- Test 1: Accepting a friendly stranger
- Test 2: Sitting politely for petting
- Test 3: Appearance and grooming
- Test 4: Out for a walk (loose lead)
- Test 5: Walking through a crowd
- Test 6: Sit and down on cue and stay in place
- Test 7: Coming when called
- Test 8: Reaction to another dog
- Test 9: Reaction to a distraction
- Test 10: Supervised separation
The Lodge and Learn Package
The most efficient way for your pup to develop skills rapidly is to sign them up for our Lodge & Learn package. You have the option between a 10, 20, or 30-day stay where they are consistently engaged with enriching learning activities. While dogs can still learn these skills in day-camp classes, it will take longer and possibly cost even more depending on how long it takes them to retain the information. When puppies board with us, they are much more likely to hold on to the skills that they’ve learned because of the constant learning environment. It is also extremely beneficial for young dogs to spend some time away from home in order to prevent unsecure or anxiety-driven attachments.
They can enjoy the many luxuries of our 5-star puppy boarding resort like:
- The Comfort of a Private Suite: Every guest will have their own private room to relax in. Our private suites are spacious with enough room to eat and rest comfortably. Your puppy will have their water bowl replenished multiple times a day, freshly laundered bedding every night, and some suites even have television access for pups who can’t miss their favorite shows!
- Daily 5-Point Wellness Checks: One of our certified staff members will conduct a 5-point wellness check on your dog twice daily. This is the best way for us to keep you, the puppy parent, updated on their well-being. We utilize this wellness check to alter care if needed.
- Meals On A Schedule: We understand how important your dog’s feeding schedule is. We encourage all pet parents to bring in a portioned supply of their dog’s usual food for the duration of their stay.
- State-of-the-art Air Filtration System: To prevent dust, dander, and pet hair from floating all around the facility, we have invested in a top-of-the-line air filtration system that filters out the debris from the air, ensuring that our guests are only breathing in fresh, clean air.
- Strict Sanitization Schedule: Our facility follows a strict sanitization schedule, and it runs like clockwork. Every day, the common areas are disinfected and sanitized. In between classes, we do the same for toys and equipment so that all dogs are using sanitary equipment to learn.
Life With a New Puppy
Bonding with your adorable new friend is an exciting part of dog ownership. These first few months that you spend with your puppy will shape the life-long habits that you notice in their adult life. In this time, you may notice that you and your puppy are not on the same page. Maybe they’ve grown an affinity for toilet paper rolls or delicious leather shoes. If you don’t take proactive actions to reverse these or any other undesired behaviors, you may be stuck with them well into adulthood. The only way to ensure that your dog grows up with confidence, obedience, and strong social skills is to expose them to a trusted training environment. Our facility has been recommended by local vets, trusted by the community, and even been named “Simply the Best” in business by Harrisburg magazine. There truly is no better place to train your pup than with Greenlin.
Is Training Essential for All Puppies?
If you decide not to train your new puppy, there is no telling what its personality will look like once they reach adulthood. Dogs that lack early-life training are more likely to develop unwanted behaviors, anxiety issues, and less than optimal socialization skills. Participation in puppy socialization classes is directly related to obedience and good manners. You can always opt-out of puppy training, but that risk may not be worth it in the future.
When Should My Puppy Start Training?
We encourage all puppy parents to bring their precocious pups in once they’ve received their full vaccinations. All dogs must be up-to-date on their vaccines for rabies, distemper, and Bordetella as a safety measure to protect the health and wellness of every guest. Puppies who are not old enough to receive their first rabies vaccine (16 weeks) may receive temporary leniency but must be vaccinated once they reach the age to be vaccinated against rabies.
Puppy Socialization Classes With Greenlin Sets Young Pups Up For Life-Long Success
There is nothing like bonding with a new dog in the house, but without proper training, your attempts to bond with them may be a waste of time. Your dog has a unique personality, and a lack of training can instill unwanted behaviors into their loving disposition. These habits are more difficult to reverse the older your dog gets, so instead of waiting until it’s ingrained in their personality, take charge of their learning journey by signing them up for standardized puppy training from the AKC.
Ready to get started? Our trusted team at Greenlin Pet Resorts can help you put together a suitable training schedule for your busy lifestyle. Contact us online or call one of our six central Pennsylvania locations to learn more about how the S.T.A.R Puppy Program can help your family.