Dog Boarding in Mechanicsburg, Pa
It can be difficult to go out of town for a few days or even weeks and leave your canine companion behind, but unfortunately, sometimes circumstances force you to do just that. However, having the assistance of a welcoming, friendly dog boarding center in Mechanicsburg can make the experience easier for both you and your dog. At Greenlin West in Mechanicsburg , we aim to put your mind at ease by providing premium pet care while you’re out of town. Your dog will receive plenty of exercise, entertainment, and one-on-one attention in our facility, and you can enjoy your trip knowing they’re safe.
Why is Dog Boarding the Best Option?
Sometimes people aren’t sure if they need to board their dog. They may consider leaving their beloved pet with a friend or relative or asking a neighbor to stop by to feed and walk the dog several times a day. In some situations, these options work out, but in other cases, they don’t. There are several potential drawbacks to these plans:
- Your friend or neighbor may not be used to your dog, and your furry friend might be too difficult for them to handle. The dog may even get away from an inexperienced handler while on a walk or run out the door while they fumble with your house keys.
- If you leave the dog at home and ask someone to check in a few times a day, your pet will be alone most of the time. There are two potential problems with this situation: First, some dogs get lonely and act out - for example, chewing furniture and other items they usually wouldn’t, tearing down the curtains, barking incessantly, etc. The other issue is that if your dog fell ill or got injured, no one would be around to help them, possibly for hours.
- If your dog goes to a friend or relative’s house, there could be unexpected complications. Some dogs may act out in new surroundings, and your friend may not be equipped to deal with unusual behavior. They may also have children or pets who antagonize or frighten the dog, and their home may not be set up to give your little buddy some space.
Ready to Start a Reservation?
Overnight dog boarding at Greenlin West in Mechanicsburg solves all these problems by providing your dog with its own private space. If they’re feeling social, we also offer group play, and our pet care specialists give each dog the care and attention they need. Here are some of the benefits of dog boarding in our facility:
- Your dog’s private room is complete with comfortable bedding, which we clean daily.
- Our trained staff performs a five-point wellness check each day to gauge how your dog is doing and catch any symptoms that may need a vet's attention.
- If your dog requires medication or other care, we can take care of their needs.
- To help your dog feel comfortable and relaxed, we leave the TV on to sound like home and play relaxing music.
- If your dog enjoys watching television, we have packages that include TV access.
- We take your dog out a minimum of three times a day, more if desired with our activity package offerings.
- Call and check on your dog at any time. If you choose our picture package, we can also send you pictures of your furry friend throughout the day.
- If the dog becomes sick or has any emergency, our highly-trained staff members know dog CPR and will get your dog medical attention immediately.
Are There Different Options for Dogs with Different Activity Levels?
At Greenlin West in Mechanicsburg, we know that no two dogs are exactly alike. Some are more energetic and need a high level of exercise to feel their best, while others are more mellow and prefer to be a lap dog. Boarding dogs is a job that requires offering a range of alternatives so pet owners can choose the proper selection. Here are some of the possibilities:
- High-Energy Play. Some dog breeds have a lot of energy and need significant exercise daily, or they can become bored and experience behavioral issues. Collies, shepherds, and other “herding” breeds often fall into this category. It’s also possible that your dog has a strong need for exercise regardless of breed. If your dog does better with more exercise, this package gives more walks, games of fetch, and supervised group play with other dogs.
- Bedtime Stories and Tuck-Ins. Sometimes dogs just need the comfort of home. Our pet care specialists will cuddle your dog and tell them soothing stories to help them relax at the end of the day.
- Puppy packages. Puppies need lots of extra attention, and our puppy-focused plans are ideal for young dogs. They’ll get extra walks and playtime, and we’ll focus on any training routines you’ve been working on so you won’t lose the progress you’ve made.
- Senior dog packages. Your older dog also needs special care. We offer orthopedic beds so they can rest easier and walks designed to promote mobility. Additionally, we’ll handle their medications and provide special care with your instructions.
- Extra treats. We always encourage clients to bring plenty of their dog’s favorite food and treats, but if you can’t for some reason, we also provide high-quality treats prepared in-house. Dogs love these delicious treats.
- Swimming. Does your dog enjoy the water? Would you like them to learn to swim in case of an emergency? Our facility features several in-ground pools designed specifically with dogs in mind. Pets are always supervised when using them, and our pet care specialists can help your dog learn to swim if you’d like.
How Should You Prepare for Boarding a Dog?
The more prepared you are, the easier it will be to usher your dog into new surroundings for their stay. We want to make them as comfortable as possible, so it helps us to know each dog’s specific needs and concerns. Here are some steps to help you get ready for boarding dogs:
- The smell of home will help your furry friend. In addition to packing their favorite food and treats, include some objects that smell like you and your home - blankets, toys, maybe even that sweater of yours that your dog always lies on. These familiar touches will put your dog at ease.
- Prepare us for any health concerns. We want to help keep your dog healthy, so please pack any medications they need, detailed instructions for use, and the contact info for your vet’s office in case of an emergency. Make notes about any other health concerns, such as allergies or conditions they have. For example, if your dog gets anxious in new surroundings and starts scratching or chewing on their paws out of nervousness (this is common), do they need to be put in a cone? Given anxiety medication? What measures can we take to help them feel better?
- Tell us anything else it might help to know about your dog, including personality, likes and dislikes, and any fears or issues. For example, please let us know if your dog is people-shy, sometimes needs space, has difficulty getting along with other dogs, has a habit of destroying “indestructible” toys, has food aggression, etc. We can accommodate these things, but we need to know beforehand to prepare.
- If you will be going away for a while and your dog is prone to separation anxiety or doing poorly in a new environment, it could be helpful to have a trial run of one overnight stay before your long trip. This allows the dog to get used to our facility and form positive associations, so things will be easier when they stay longer.
- If your dog doesn’t get on well with other canines, you may want to bring them by the center a few times to see how they do with the other dogs. We also offer socialization training as part of our Puppy Star training program.
- Stop by the vet a few days before your scheduled boarding time and ensure your dog is up-to-date on vaccinations and flea and tick treatments. Please get copies of these records so we can ensure all dogs in our facility are safe and make sure your dog’s ID tags are updated.
- Get your dog in the habit of sleeping solo. We know dogs love to sleep on the bed - even when they’re “not allowed.” But if you can get them to sleep on their own at least some of the time before your visit, they will have an easier time getting to sleep in the boarding facility.
How Do You Book an Appointment to Board Your Dogs?
At Greenlin West in Mechanicsburg, we know that boarding for dogs is the best way to handle those times when you have to be away from your canine companion, so we want to make it as easy as possible. Simply call the number for our Mechanicsburg location, or fill out our online contact form to get started. We look forward to meeting you and your dog.